The Pet Tracker project aimed to develop a cutting-edge IoT application that caters to the needs of pet owners, allowing them to monitor the health and location of their beloved pets with ease.
My role | UX Designer
Platform | iOS mobile application
Deliverables | UI/UX design, Screen flow
Timeline: 1 month
The primary goal was to create a user-centric solution that seamlessly connects smart collars to a user-friendly mobile app, enhancing the lives of pets and their owners.
01 Problem Statement
The project was initiated to address the challenges faced by pet owners, who want to ensure the well-being and safety of their pets.
The key problem was to create a holistic pet tracking solution that simplifies pet monitoring, shares essential data with veterinarians, and enables social sharing, all in one intuitive platform.
02 Users & Audience
Our primary users are pet owners, particularly those with cats. These users vary in age, tech-savviness, and lifestyle. We also considered vet clinics as an indirect but essential audience who rely on user-shared data for better pet care.
03 My Role
I led the design initiatives, collaborating closely with developers, product managers, and quality assurance testers. The team consisted of five members, and we worked remotely.
I crafted intuitive screen flows of interactions, wireframe and visuals for the native mobile iOS application.
User Research: Understanding the needs of pet owners
Persona : Beth
The Busy Professional with Limited Pet Time
Hectic professional with a family, values her cat Whiskers for comfort. Seeks peace of mind with real-time location tracking and health insights. Prioritizes efficiency due to her tight schedule.
04 Key insights gathered
I identified key user pain points that needed to be addressed and prioritised them based on the most critical to meet the needs of the target users. These include;
- Difficulty in tracking pets' location when not at home.
- Difficulty in monitoring pet's health remotely.
- Lack of transparency into pets' daily routines and activities.
- Limited access to pets' medical history and information.
05 Design Solution
Based on my research, I have identified several key features that would be essential for the PET tracker app to meet the needs of its target users: :
- Real-Time Location Tracking: For those seeking peace of mind, the real-time location tracking feature offers accurate and up-to-the-minute information about their pet's whereabouts, ensuring their safety.
- Activity monitoring: Users should be able to monitor their pets' activity levels to ensure they are getting enough exercise and staying healthy.
- Social Sharing: For pet owners who love sharing their pet's adventures. Users can post GPS data and health updates to their social profiles with just a tap.
Scope & Constraints:
A tight timeline: I had 1 month to design the application.
A limited budget: The budget for this project was constrained, and I had to prioritize features.
Evolving technology: IoT technology was constantly evolving, which posed challenges in ensuring compatibility with the smart collars in the market.
The Pet Tracker application successfully addressed the needs of our user personas, Alex and Beth. Key outcomes include:
- A valuable tool for vet clinics, streamlining pet healthcare management.
- Positive user feedback on the intuitive design and seamless collar integration.
07 Lessons learned
- User research is paramount; understanding the end-users' needs is the foundation of a successful project.
- Continuous communication with the development team is crucial to ensure design implementation.
- Technology evolution requires adaptability; regular updates are necessary to maintain compatibility.